This was the second in our series of summertime Baby Basics discussions sponsored by Walmart Canada. The discussion led off with how and when the families had begun to babyproof their home. Most of the moms agreed that they didn’t start until the baby was becoming mobile.
Top 5 Babyproofing Tips:
1. Lock up those cupboards – whether you use the latch locks or cupboard locks these are a must have if your home contains harmful chemicals, medications and cleaners. Many moms said they had switched to using vinegar and baking soda since baby arrived. Safety 1st provided our mamas with cabinet slide latches in the event lootbags. They are available online from Walmart.ca (and there's free shipping)!
2. Sleeping choosing the right monitor can be a tough decision. Video monitors, regular monitors and apps for your tablets its hard to know what to buy! The OMA by Levana is a unique monitor that attaches snugly to baby's middle to protect against SIDs. One lucky mom actually won this monitor at the event over $100 value.
3. Fire Safety – making a plan and practising with the kids is key. Don't ever tell the kids to ignore the smoke detector when it goes off. Practise getting out of the house – even when the only fire is your burning dinner. Don't confuse little ones by sending mixed messages.
4. Car safety. Choosing a car seat or booster are big descions. There are lots of other safety products you can buy for your car like sunshades to keep the kids cool on those long summer roadtrips. Brica sent us stretch to fit sun shades in our event lootbags!
5. Water Safety – Summertime brings a host of opportunities for water play so ensuring doors are latched securely and fences prevent unaccompanied pool access is of utmost importance. One of our mamas sets her alarm on chime mode so that she is aware if a child opens an exterior door.
The last tip we had from the discussion is to register for expensive items like baby gates and baby monitors. Even if you won't use them right away taking your time to do research before the need suddenly arises makes for a much more informed decision.
You can join us next time at our Baby Basics group –
Thursday July 31st is Baby Sensory Play
August 7th is all about Sleep
August 14th is Diapering – sponsored by Walmart Canada.
Purchase your program pass here and join our conversation.